All artists can
- Request an exhibition, either individual or part of a group. Please note that artists applying for group exhibitions will apply and be reviewed as an individual artist.
- Assist in hanging exhibitions under the direction of the Executive Director. This is a good opportunity for emerging artists to learn more about exhibiting.
- Exhibit in Art in the Park. For more information and application see Art in the Park on the Annual Events page.
- Become a member of Watermark and join a vibrant arts community.
REQUEST AN EXHIBITION
The Watermark Art Center sponsors up to three exhibits per month, during the months of February through December. The Watermark is open to the public from 12 to 5pm Tuesday – Friday and Saturday’s 10am -2pm. We display a wide variety of works ranging from children to adults, and featuring individuals, groups, regional and national exhibitions. Because we are a community art center, we sponsor a diverse range of exhibitions and juried shows designed to appeal to a wide audience.
Download the exhibition application: exhibition-request.pdf
Watermark accepts applications for exhibitions year round, however, applications and portfolios are reviewed at the discretion of the Exhibition Committee. Exhibitions are booked from one to two years in advance, but occasionally there is an unexpected opening. On these occasions artists who have applied will be contacted.
Who is eligible for an exhibition at the Watermark?
All artists over 18 years who are not working under academic supervision can apply for their own exhibition.
Who decides which artist and which works get exhibited?
- The Watermark board has an exhibition committee which reviews portfolios and chooses artists for exhibition.
- The executive director reserves the right to refuse to exhibit individual works if the work is deemed to be unacceptable because of subject, improper hanging device, poor craft or plagerism.
How do I apply for an Exhibition?
Artists requesting an exhibit with the Watermark are required to submit:
- ·10 to 20 images on CD or DVD, with images in .jpg format, image size 200dpi. These will not be returned.
- ·A list of images with titles, sizes (height and width) media used and date created.
- · A one to two page resume with exhibit history
- · A one paragraph bio.
- · An artist statement
- · A one paragraph proposal stating theme, media, number of works, gallery preference and any special installation requirements
Will the Watermark pay for shipping and insurance?
No, artists are responsible for their own shipping to and from the art center.
Who will provide promotional materials?
Watermark Art Center provides postcards for members and a limited number of postcards for exhibiting artists. The local media, newspapers, Public Television and radio will also be informed.
Who will provide the opening reception?
Watermark Art Center hosts the opening reception and provides food and light refreshment. Food is also generously donated by Marketplace Foods of Bemidji. Artists may choose to add to the reception.
Can I sell my work?
Yes, Watermark Art Center will encourage sales of your work. The Watermark receives 40% commission from artwork sold during the exhibition.